Monday, March 01, 2010

Square One

On our way back from hauling chairs to Baker last week, dad told me an interesting grammar puzzle that he was given when he was young (typically known as the Pleistocene Era).  I'm posting a modified version of it here, and the first person to correctly solve it will win an Oatmeal Butterscotch cookie.  Must claim prize in person; approximate retail value $.10. :-)

Punctuate the following sentence correctly:
James while John had had had had had had had had had had had a better effect on the teacher

Does it make me strange that I find that incredibly interesting?

(Coldplay)

5 comments:

Annette said...

Well, you know me and my grammar....but I'll go ahead and take a stab at it

James, while John had, had had, had had had, had had had had, a better effect on the teacher.

How did you get your feedjit to read your feed as EskDale? I like.

Kenneth said...

Sorry Net, but that's not correct. If you come out this weekend, you can have a consolation cookie though. ;)

To change my location, I clicked on the 'Options' link and selected 'Change your location'. I also like. :)

Kenneth said...

Well, since you seem to be the only one trying, I'll go ahead and give you the answer. :)

James, while John had had "had", had had "had had"; "had had" had had a better effect on the teacher.

And there's how you can use 11 hads in a row and be grammatically correct.

Annette said...

and now my head is spinning....;o)

TheBakerHalfDozen said...

Gah, my head is spinning as well. Geesh, lol.