Tomorrow is Friday, and I couldn't be happier. It's been a really long week, and I'm ready for a day of rest. Plus, Net and Cary are coming out with their adorable children, and that's the icing on the cake. The coconut pecan icing on the rich, chocolaty German chocolate cake. Mmmmmmm...
After several beautiful Spring-ish days, the weather soured today. The wind picked up considerably, and we even got a few drops of rain this afternoon. Most depressing, however, was the accompanying drop in temperature. Not to be deterred by a wee bit of moving air, Grandpa felt it was important to remind everybody he talked to at lunch that "we just haven't been having the Spring winds this year." Normally we all take this in pretty good humor, but when one has spent the majority of the day being battered about by something-that-feels-an-awful-lot-like-wind-but-apparently-isn't-wind, it becomes more difficult. Buoyed on by his inability to hear any opposition to his claims - he's apparently lost his right hearing aid - he proceeded to articulate his standard for "strong winds": 90 miles per hour. It's little wonder that we don't frequently have "strong winds". :-)
I hope it doesn't sound like I'm picking on my dear grandfather. Even at 93, he's still one of the nicest and smartest people I know. (It also helps that I hadn't been out in the wind today, so I found the above situation rather amusing.) He's remarkably independent, and in spite of a few significant problems with his memory, he still knows all of our names, where he is, and most of the other important information. While he struggles with time, he lives in a world where it's perpetually Spring and never windy. Old age could certainly be worse.
(Roxette)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I am also looking forward to the weekend with much joy.
Your Grandpa always makes me smile. He always tells me that he appreciates how clean I keep the kitchen when I'm cooking. LOL! It's a good thing he doesn't come over before 11:30 :).
Ah yes, if I age as gracefully as grandpa I'll be a happy lady. ☺
We have been looking forward to the weekend as well!
Mmmm... german chocolate cake, although, you made me eat too much tonight as it was.
Glad to hear that you haven't been having those hard Spring winds. ;o)
Post a Comment